Thursday, December 27, 2012

South Africa Souvenirs

This summer we traveled to South Africa.  I found a few greeting cards made by a local artist using recycled objects and thought they would make a great souvenir.  Ranging from 35 to 50 Rand each (between $4 and $6 Canadian) these were a thrifty purchase.  They were small and flat and easy to pack in my suitcase, too!

I knew from the start that I wanted to frame and hang them, but I had a little trouble because the cards were a bit 3D and I quickly realized that they weren't sized to any standard North American frame.


The solution was to purchase some "adjustable depth" frames from Michaels.  These provided some addition space between the card and the glass.


They're actually a really neat idea: just pile as many mini frames behind/in front of the piece of art as you like and get the depth you need.


I mounted each card on burlap printed scrapbooking paper trimmed to fit.



Right now the pictures are hanging in our 1970s rec room,  ready to be the inspiration for a modern makeover to that floor of the house.  I'm so very pleased with their cuteness and originality.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...