On Saturday, the plan for the coming week was to finally get to painting our bedroom. On Sunday, we found this cabinet at a vintage furniture store, and the plan changed a bit. (Summer days are long, so a short attention span is okay, okay?)
The cabinet was in definite need of a makeover, but it had definite potential: all of the drawers slid smoothly and had stoppers to hold them in place. The door hinges and latch worked well...and it had a complete set of hardware. Also, it fit into the back of our 2-door hatchback, which I took as a sign that it was meant to come home with us.
Yesterday was Part One of the makeover process. I removed all the hardware, scrubbed everything down with dish soap and water, sanded, applied wood filler, sanded again, and washed the whole thing down with TSP to prep the surface for painting. The prep work is the hardest part: I took about 3 hours to get the furniture ready to paint, but hopefully that time was worth it!
I bought my first can of Benjamin Moore paint for this project. It wasn't exactly inexpensive but it's a specially formulated product that can be applied over oil or latex, and it doesn't require a primer (and less expensive primer plus less expensive paint starts to equal more expensive paint, anyway). Also, the colour (Peacock Blue) is gorgeous.
The dry time between coats is 16 hours. I'm painting it in the living/dining room so that I can have the TV on while I work. Add to that the fact that we currently have two full sets of dining furniture in there (more on that later) and it's cramped quarters in our cozy cottage. That's a definite motivation to get this project finished!
In the meantime, Paint Week continues. While I'm waiting on this project, I can start the next one. Project number two is to paint the bedroom. I'm picking up the paint today and keeping the paint roller rolling!