Thursday, August 29, 2013

All the sweet, nunna the gluten :)

For something a little different, here's my favourite recipe of the summer.  Known to some as "macaroons," to others as "mudpies" and still to others as "just plain yummy," this no-bake dessert was a hit at a family event this week.  There are no substitutions required to make this recipe gluten-free.  Just make sure to use gluten-free oats and you're good to go.

Unbaked Chocolate Cookies

(From the Drayton United Church 100th Anniversary cookbook, painstakingly typed by my mom on an electric typewriter in 1992.)


I used the little Pampered Chef scoop (thanks, Katie!) to shape them.  It makes them nice and uniformly sized (and a little smaller than I can make them with a spoon).
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter (one stick)
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp vanilla

3 c. oatmeal  (I buy the Only Oats brand at Bulk Barn.  They're pricey, but gluten free.)
6 tbsp cocoa  (or maybe a little more...)
1 c. coconut
1/4 tsp salt

Combine sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and add 1 tsp. vanilla.  [That's a fun part--the liquid foams up like a science experiment when you add the vanilla in!]

Pour boiling syrup over dry ingredients and mix well.  Drop from teaspoon (or the fancy scoop mentioned above) on waxed paper to set.

The recipe says to "chill before serving," but I have successfully skipped that step every time.

1 comment:

  1. Omigosh, I used to make these all the time in Ottawa! I was craving them just last week and was searching for the recipe to no avail. :( Thanks for posting this! I will be making these and noshing on them to cope with the back-to-school stress! :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...